Recommendations of the day of Jum’ah starts from Thursday Maghrib
The recommendations with 2 STARS ** are for men only:
1. The day of Jum`ah is the best day of the week.(Ibn Majah). It is the best day in which the sun has ever risen. On a Friday, Adam a.s. was created, and also was admitted in Paradise, and was taken out on a Friday. The day of Judgement will come on a Friday.(Muslim)
2. Every creature except Humans and Jinns fear the day of Jum`ah(because one Friday, the world will end)-Ibn Majah. Friday was prescribed for Jews and Christians and they lost its virtue. Whereas Muslims of this Ummah is blessed with Friday as a day even more virtuous and more important than Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adhaa(Muslim, Ibn Majah)
3. It would be during the time of Friday that the people of Jannah/Paradise will see Allah Azza wa Jal.(Tirmizi;Ibn Majah) This would be the most precious bounty in Jannah. Hence the day of Jum`ah will excel forever.
4. عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ 5. أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ إِنَّ فِي الْجَنَّةِ لَسُوقًا يَأْتُونَهَا كُلَّ جُمُعَةٍ فَتَهُبُّ رِيحُ الشَّمَالِ فَتَحْثُو فِي وُجُوهِهِمْ وَثِيَابِهِمْ فَيَزْدَادُونَ حُسْنًا وَجَمَالًا فَيَرْجِعُونَ إِلَى أَهْلِيهِمْ وَقَدْ ازْدَادُوا حُسْنًا وَجَمَالًا فَيَقُولُ لَهُمْ أَهْلُوهُمْ وَاللَّهِ لَقَدْ ازْدَدْتُمْ بَعْدَنَا حُسْنًا وَجَمَالًا فَيَقُولُونَ وَأَنْتُمْ وَاللَّهِ لَقَدْ ازْدَدْتُمْ بَعْدَنَا حُسْنًا وَجَمَالًا
Hazrat Annas r.a said that Rasouloullah SAW said: ‘‘There will be a market in Jannah that the people of Jannah will visit every Friday. A gentle breeze of the north will blow over their faces and their clothes and this will increase their beauty and their elegance. They will return to their spouses with these more beauty and elegance. Their spouses will tell them: Indeed you are now more beautiful and more elegant. They will answer: ‘‘But you people are now more beautiful and more elegant.’’(Muslim) At this point, my respected Ustaad, Hazrat Mufti Radha Ul Haq sahab d.b. told us that when the Mubarak gaze of men who went to the market and who saw Allah Azza Wa Jal will be glanced over their women folk, then that gaze would cause more beauty and elegance in their spouses. Gaze has effects! I note that the going out on Jum`ah in Jannah would still be for men in Jannah.
The day of Jum`ah excels in Jannah also.
6. عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ 1. أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ كَانَ يَقُولُ الصَّلَوَاتُ الْخَمْسُ وَالْجُمْعَةُ إِلَى الْجُمْعَةِ وَرَمَضَانُ إِلَى رَمَضَانَ مُكَفِّرَاتٌ مَا بَيْنَهُنَّ إِذَا اجْتَنَبَ الْكَبَائِرَ
Rasouloullah Swalallahou `Alaihi Wasallam said: ‘‘The 5 Daily salaahs, and from one Friday to the other Friday and also from one Ramdhaan to the other Ramdhaan forgive the sins done between them, if one avoid major sin.’’(Muslim)
7. At maghrib of Thursday read : Hazihi Lailatun Gharraa wa Yaumun Azhara.(Musnad Bazzaar; Kanzul Ummaal) هذه ليلة غراء ويوم أزهر
This is a well lit night and a day even more enlightened.(Musnad Bazzaar;Kanz)
8. The recommendation of reading Douroud starts from Thursday maghrib.
9. Recommended from times to times for the imaam to read surah Kafiroun in 1st Rakaat Thursday Maghrib and Surah Ikhlaas(Qul houwalhu Ahad) in 2nd rakaat-Ibn Hibbaan.
10. Read surah Dukhaan at Thursday night(Promise of Forgiveness-Tirmizi;Darul Qutni)
11. **In Fajr the imaam is recommended to read sourah Alif laam meem sajdah(Sourah 32) in 1st Rakaat and then Hal Ataka in 2nd rakaats(Sourah 76). In Jum`ah, the beloved prophet SAW used to read Sabihisma(Sourah 87) and then Hal ataka hadithul ghashiyah(Sourah 88). Although there are no fixed sourahs for any salaah, but still we recommend that the imaam sahib may read these recommnended sourahs alternately.
12. Read Surah Kahaf(Protection from Dajjaal, Nur, Light-Baihaqi)
13. Read Surah Ali Imraan(Darimi).
14. According to some, it is recommended to intimate with spouse on Fridays.
15. Then take a ghusl (bath). Recommended also for women to shower once a week, preferably Fridays-H.Tahtawi.
16. Recommended to shave hair under armpit, around private parts and by annus once every week, preferably on Friday-H. Tahtawi.
17. Recommended to trim moustache and cut nails once every week, preferably on Friday-H. Tahtawi.
18. Not permissible to leave nails, moustache, hairs under armpit and by private parts uncut or unshaved more than 40 days-Muslim.
19. **Wear the best clothes-Bukhari.
20. **Apply perfume-Bukhari *Reported in Ibn Abi Shaibah and Abu Ya’laa that Hazrat Umar r.a and Ibn Umar r.a. used burning wood(oud or other perfumed wood) to perfume their clothes on Friday. With this comes the sunnah of lighting Oud on Friday at home.*
21. **Use miswaak-Muslim
22. **Apply oil in the hair-Muslim
23. **Leave early for the Masjid-Bukhari.
24. **Go to the masjid on foot. Virtue of one year of ibaadah on each pace-Abu Dawood.
25. Perfume the masjid before khutbah(Ibn Abi Shaibah).
26. **One should listen attentively to the Khutbah even if one does not understand Arabic and to perform Jum’ah salaah with devotion.
27. Recommended from times to times to read Surah Al Al A`laa (Surah 87) in first Rakaat Jum`ah and second Rakaat surah Al Ghashiyah(Surah 88).
28. Highly recommended to send Durood and salutations on the Prophet Muhammad (saw). The Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “The best of your days is the day of Jum’ah. Thus send lots of salutations on me on that day, because your salutations are being presented to me (through the angels).” (Abu Dawood)
حدثنا الحسن بن علي ثنا الحسين بن علي الجعفي عن عبد الرحمن بن يزيد بن جابر عن أبي الأشعث الصنعاني عن أوس بن أوس قال قال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إن من أفضل أيامكم يوم الجمعة فأكثروا علي من الصلاة فيه فإن صلاتكم معروضة علي سنن أبي داود
It is a day where one should not miss the salaat-o-salaam.
29. Try to encompass the time of Friday in Duas. Because there is an acceptation hour during the day of Jum`ah.
30. According to a hadith of Bukhari, the beloved prophet SAW used to take lunch after Jum`ah salaah. The siesta or nap sleep was after Jum`ah.
31. Recommended for men to visit Qabrastaan or cemetery on Friday-Shami. وَتَجْتَمِعُ فِيهِ الْأَرْوَاحُ وَتُزَارُ الْقُبُورُ شامي
32. Note that the Qur’aan tells us to look for the bounty of Allah Ta’ala and sustenance after the Jum’ah salaah. Some qualified the bounty as `ilm and others said it as rizq and sustenance. That is why the ideal Mubarak time for the opening of a shop or to start living in a house is after Jum`ah salaah.
33. عَنْ رَبِيعَةَ بْنِ سَيْفٍ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مَا مِنْ مُسْلِمٍ يَمُوتُ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ أَوْ لَيْلَةَ الْجُمُعَةِ إِلَّا وَقَاهُ اللَّهُ فِتْنَةَ الْقَبْرِ ترمذي
The beloved prophet SAW said: ‘’No muslim die on a Friday or during Thursday night but Allah Ta`ala will save him from punishment of the grave.’’Tirmizi Tahqeeq: Hassan. This is a sahih hadith whereby Thursday night is described the same time virtue as the day of Jum`ah.
34. According to Hazrat Fatimah r.a. the last part of Friday before Maghrib is precious for duas.
35. Reported in Bukhari that when Ramadhaan comes, the doors of sky opens up, the doors of hell closed up, the Satans are enchained and also the doors of Jannah are opened up.(Bukhari)
36. Basing on the fact that the door of hell is closed and that the doors of Jannah are opened, then there is hope that someone who passes away during Ramadhaan, Insha Allah he will go Jannah(Faidul Qadeer-Manawi)
37. These facts are noted and said in Shami book:
A. Obedient muslims will not endure Azaab Qabr(tribulation of tomb). If ever sinful, only a slight pressing in Qabr.
B. Non obedient muslims will be punished and pressed until the day of Jum`ah comes. When Jum`ah comes, then be relieved from punishment until the day of Qiyamah.
C. Kafirs will endure punishment except on the day of Jum`ah and during Ramadhaan! If Kafirs are relieved during Ramadhaan, then all hope for muslims that passes away in Ramadhaan will be saved from tribulation of Qabr(tomb) Insha Allah Ta`ala.
38. قَالَ أَهْلُ السُّنَّةِ وَالْجَمَاعَةُ : عَذَابُ الْقَبْرِ حَقٌّ وَسُؤَالُ مُنْكَرٍ وَنَكِيرٍ وَضَغْطَةُ الْقَبْرِ حَقٌّ لَكِنْ إنْ كَانَ كَافِرًا فَعَذَابُهُ يَدُومُ إلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ وَيُرْفَعُ عَنْهُ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ وَشَهْرَ رَمَضَانَ فَيُعَذَّبُ اللَّحْمُ مُتَّصِلًا بِالرُّوحِ وَالرُّوحُ مُتَّصِلًا بِالْجِسْمِ فَيَتَأَلَّمُ الرُّوحُ مَعَ الْجَسَدِ ، وَإِنْ كَانَ خَارِجًا عَنْهُ ، وَالْمُؤْمِنُ الْمُطِيعُ لَا يُعَذَّبُ بَلْ لَهُ ضَغْطَةٌ يَجِدُ هَوْلَ ذَلِكَ وَخَوْفَهُ وَالْعَاصِي يُعَذَّبُ وَيُضْغَطُ لَكِنْ يَنْقَطِعُ عَنْهُ الْعَذَابُ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ وَلَيْلَتَهَا ثُمَّ لَا يَعُودُ وَإِنْ مَاتَ يَوْمَهَا أَوْ لَيْلَتَهَا يَكُونُ الْعَذَابُ سَاعَةً وَاحِدَةً وَضَغْطَةُ الْقَبْرِ ثُمَّ يُقْطَعُ ، كَذَا فِي الْمُعْتَقَدَاتِ لِلشَّيْخِ أَبِي الْمُعِينِ النَّسَفِيِّ الْحَنَفِيِّ مِنْ حَاشِيَةِ الْحَنَفِيِّ مُلَخَّصًا شامي
May Allah Ta`ala bless the life and the afterlife of my ustaads. Ameen. Indeed, I owe them every alphabet that I write. It is their efforts during days and nights gazing, explaining and talking to us that have inculcated in us these words. May Allah Ta`ala gather them, our muslim parents and all of us with imaan on the day of Jum`ah in the bouties of Jannah.